RALEIGH – On Sunday, July 16 at approximately 4:20 p.m., the State Highway Patrol received notification from multiple motorists of a group of sports cars impeding traffic, traveling at a high rate of speed and running other vehicles off the roadway on US 321 in Catawba County. Troopers responded to the area, stopping 9 different passenger vehicles and 1 SUV near exit 41.
After conducting an investigation into the incident, investigators seized 5 vehicles involved in a pre-arranged speed competition, placing the vehicles into the custody of the Catawba County Sheriff’s Office.
After conferring with the Catawba and Lincoln County District Attorney’s Office, troopers charged the following individuals:
- Brennan T. Rowe, 22, of Wayne, N.J. charged with Impeding Traffic & Exceeding posted speed limit
- Anthony W. Obrien, 20, of Havre de Grace, M.D. charged with Impeding Traffic & Prearranged Racing
- Hoang T. Nguyen, 44, of Allen, T.X. charged with Impeding Traffic & Prearranged Racing
- Tran Hai Phi, 26, of Jacksonville, F.L. charged with Impeding Traffic & Prearranged Racing
- Haroon Masood, 27, of Philadelphia, P.A. charged with Impeding Traffic & Prearranged Racing
- Tamer Arslanouk, 24, of Waynesville, N.J. charged with Impeding Traffic
- Saad Ahmed Gil, 25, of Philadelphia, P.A. charged with Impeding Traffic & Prearranged Racing
This press release appears as received from the NC Department of Public Safety with the exception of page/text/space/paragraph/general formatting details. Picture placement also excluded. All pictures included with original release may not be shown here. Separate reports contained within the same press release may have also been removed. Additionally, the different pieces of the press release may have been re-arranged. This press release was posted at WSICfm.com after being received from the agency listed. Article title and picture captions may, or may not be, part of the press release. This information does, however, reflect the information received from the NC Department of Public Safety.