As part of the DDI, a mast and cabling system will be installed across the Exit 28 Bridge. A partial bridge closure, similar to the closure in June, will be necessary to ensure your safety during this construction.
NCDOT has announced the partial bridge closure will occur the 2nd weekend in January to install the mast & cabling system. The closure will begin Friday, January 9 at midnight (12:00 AM Saturday, January 10) and last until 6:00 AM Monday, January 12. If the scheduled work is completed prior to 6:00 AM Monday, January 12, the bridge will be re-opened at that time and normal traffic flow will resume. This schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions.
The bridge will be closed to all thru traffic (vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian) crossing the bridge during this time. However, right-turns onto and off of I-77 will still be allowed. Detour signs will be posted by NCDOT. Please see the image and information below for more detail.
Permitted Traffic Movements During the Bridge Closure
During the bridge closure period, the following traffic movements will still be allowed:
- Eastbound West Catawba Avenue can turn right onto the I-77 South ramp toward Huntersville;
- Westbound Catawba Avenue can turn right onto the I-77 North ramp toward Davidson;
- I-77 South to Exit 28 traffic can turn right onto West Catawba Avenue heading westbound toward Torrence Chapel Road;
- I-77 North to Exit 28 traffic can turn right onto Catawba Avenue heading eastbound toward Highway 21.
Motorists approaching east or west of I-77 will be limited to right turns onto and off of I-77:
- Traffic approaching I-77 from the West: Traffic will be detoured to I-77 South to N.C. 73 (Exit 25). Motorists can turn left off the Exit 25 ramp, cross the bridge and turn left to I-77 North, take Exit 28 and turn right (east);
- Traffic approaching I-77 from the East: Traffic will be detoured to I-77 North to Griffith Street (Exit 30). Option 1: Motorists can turn left off the Exit 30 ramp, cross the bridge and turn left to I-77 South, take Exit 28 and turn right (west); Option 2: Motorists can turn right off the Exit 30 ramp, go to the 1st round-about and go all the way around (heading west), cross the I-77 bridge and turn left to I-77 South, take Exit 28 and turn right (west).
- All traffic exiting I-77, northbound or southbound, at Catawba Avenue will be restricted to right turns.
Detour signs will be posted as appropriate.