At the height of popularity in the 1950s, there were more than 4,000 drive-in movie theatres across America. People would flood the drive-ins for a good time and four hours of fun.
With social distancing easy to maintain, the drive-ins are making a comeback and some are even extending their hours of operation. There are three drive-in theaters fairly close to Charlotte and two are already open for business.
SPECIAL DRIVE IN EVENT IN STATESVILLE — MAY 29 & 30:
114 Raven Circle
Kings Mountain, NC
38 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday and Saturday (and now, Sunday!) nights
Cost: $20 per car load
Hound’s operates from March to November. It shows double features on each of its two screens. One screen is for 800 cars, and the other is for 300 cars. They have instituted a number of rules to try to make it a safer experience for guests, although they have relaxed them somewhat since earlier this season.
- You must stay in your parking space unless visiting the restroom or concession stand
- You can sit outside vehicles on blankets or in chairs but you must stay in your space and distance yourself from others
- You may sit in the backs of your trucks and you may open hatches, but they must be level with the roofline of your vehicle.
- Convertible tops can be down
- Do not go to the playground
- Only 2 people are allowed in the restroom at a time and must stand 6 feet apart.
Badin Road Drive-In
2411 Badin Rd
44 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
Cost: $7 per adult, $5 per child age 6-11, free for kids under 6.
Badin Road Drive-in shows two double feature every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, one on each of the two screens. They accept cash only, but there’s an ATM available.
They’ve got some new rules and safety procedures:
- Parking will be limited. All parking spots will be marked, with 6 feet between them. They expect to be able to park 350 cars, which is significantly less than normal. Come early to guarantee a spot.
- You can sit outside of your car as long as you remain within the parking space.
- Lines for concesssions and bathrooms wil lbe marked to maintain 6 feet between people.
- Bathrooms will be monitored to limit the number of people in there at a time, and they’ll be closing bathrooms periodically to sanitize and restock.
- The playground will be closed until further notice.
Sunset Drive In Shelby is NOT OPEN YET but will be a distant third option available once it reopens.
Sunset Drive-In Theatre
3935 Sunset Blvd.
52 miles from Charlotte
Shows movies Friday and Saturday nights.
Cost: $12 per car load. Cash only. No ATM on site.
Sunset shows two movies every Friday and Saturday night from April through around Labor Day. No dogs, except service dogs. You can bring outside food if you clean up your mess.
Sunset has additional activities, like coloring contests and photo booths.