A 60-year-old has died in Mecklenburg County from COVID-19, county officials say

  

Charlotte Observer/Charlotte Stories

A person in Mecklenburg County died Sunday morning from the new coronavirus, health officials said Sunday afternoon.

The person was 60 years old with “significant underlying health conditions” and had been hospitalized, health director Gibbie Harris said. Harris and county Manager Dena Diorio expressed condolences for the person’s family and loved ones, saying it was news they hoped to never deliver during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Mecklenburg’s first COVID-19 death brings our state’s total to 6, with the 5 other deaths spread across 5 other North Carolina counties (Cabarrus, Rowan, Buncombe, Johnston, and Harnett).

“Our sympathy and thoughts go out to this individual’s family,” said Gibbie Harris, Public Health Director. “This first death of a Mecklenburg County resident due to COVID-19 emphasizes the importance to stay at home and away from others to stop the spread of this virus.”