Fire fighters say space heater on extension cord to blame for Statesville fire

  

Pictured above: Fire fighters respond to a Wilmington Avenue fire Thursday afternoon – Picture courtesy of the Statesville Fire Department

PRESS RELEASE

Statesville Fire Department responded to 1224 Wilmington Ave to possible structure fire around 2:34 pm.

Engine 1 arrived on scene to find light smoke coming from the residence. Fortunately the sole occupant, a single male, was not home at the time.

Due to the quick response of the firefighters the damage was limited to a small bedroom in the home. The cause of the fire was determined to be a small gauge extension cord supplying power to a oil filled space heater resembling a small radiator. This is the second fire in a week with the same exact cause and similar heater. The issue is the use of an extension cord to power the space heater.

Fire officials want to remind home owners and occupants to not use extension cords that are not rated to carry the electrical load of the equipment they power. Space heaters and other appliances that use a lot of electricity should be plugged directly into a receptical and not into an extension cord.

This press release appears as received from the Statesville Fire Department with the exception of  page/text/space/paragraph/general formatting details.  Picture placement also excluded.  All pictures included with original release may not be shown here. Separate reports contained within the same press release may have also been removed. Additionally, the different pieces of the press release may have been re-arranged.  This press release was posted at WSICfm.com after being received from the agency listed. Article title and picture captions may, or may not be, part of the press release.  This information does, however, reflect the information received from the Statesville Fire Department.

Let everyone know about this