Investigators say cigarette led to small fire at senior apartments in Mooresville

  

PRESS RELEASE

MOORESVILLE, NC- Early Saturday morning, a small fire in an occupied apartment at Mooresville Manor, 323 E. Statesville Avenue, forced the evacuation of residents but resulted in no fire-related injuries to civilians or firefighters. Following the event, fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and the result of an improperly discarded cigarette.

Saturday at 1:28 a.m., Iredell County Emergency Communications dispatched Mooresville Fire-Rescue to an automatic fire alarm for Mooresville Manor Senior Living Apartments, 323 East Statesville Avenue. Upon arrival, evacuation of residents was already in progress. Although the occupant had successfully extinguished the fire inside an apartment, the common hallway outside the apartment had a considerable amount of light, hazy smoke.

Mooresville Engine 1 requested a structure fire response bringing additional resources to assist with any possible fire, as well as to help with the evacuation and care for the residents of the senior living facility. Mount Mourne Fire Department, Mooresville Police Department and Iredell County EMS also responded to provide aid. After fire personnel confirmed the fire had not spread beyond the single apartment and monitored the air for safety, residents were allowed to return to their apartments approximately one hour later.

Investigators determined the fire began when a cigarette was improperly discarded and caused a comforter, mattress and box spring to burn. The occupant was able to extinguish the fire, preventing further damage to the apartment or building.

The portion of the press release displayed appears as received from the Mooresville Fire-Rescue with the exception of page/text/space/paragraph/general formatting details. Picture placement also e/Users/Christopher/Documents/Radio/Reference Files/[sic] tag.txtxcluded. All pictures included with original release may not be shown here. Separate reports contained within the same press release may have also been removed. Additionally, the different pieces of the press release may have been re-arranged. This press release was posted at WSICfm.com after being received from the agency listed. Article title and picture captions may, or may not be, part of the press release. This information does, however, reflect the information received from the Mooresville Fire-Rescue.

Author: Niakeya James