Mooresville Fire-Rescue investigators have determined that a house fire in the Curtis Pond community on July 5 originated in an outside trash can containing discarded ashes from a fire pit.
Thinking the ashes from the pit had cooled overnight, the Madelia Place residents emptied the contents of the fire pit into their trash can between 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. that morning. Mooresville Fire-Rescue was dispatched to the home just before 9:25 a.m. after a resulting blaze from the ashes was discovered by a family member.
Knowing how to properly dispose of ashes from a fire pit or fireplace is important for preventing future fires and loss. Ashes must properly cool to make sure they are safe to dispose of. “Ashes from a fireplace or outside fire pit should never be discarded right away in a plastic trash can, cardboard box, or paper bag,” said Geoff Woolard, Fire Marshal. “A good rule of thumb is to let the ashes cool at least 24 hours in the fire pit and check to see if any hot ashes remain by using a scoop or metal fire poker.”
If no hot embers or ashes are found, the ashes can be placed into a metal bucket or container with a lid to sit outside for an additional 24-48 hours before finally bagging for trash pickup. Woolard added that residents should also make sure their trash service will accept cold ashes as part of their normal pick-up policy.
The portion of the press release displayed appears as received from the Mooresville Fire-Rescue with the exception of page/text/space/paragraph/general formatting details. Picture placement also e/Users/Christopher/Documents/Radio/Reference Files/[sic] tag.txtxcluded. All pictures included with original release may not be shown here. Separate reports contained within the same press release may have also been removed. Additionally, the different pieces of the press release may have been re-arranged. This press release was posted at WSICfm.com after being received from the agency listed. Article title and picture captions may, or may not be, part of the press release. This information does, however, reflect the information received from the Mooresville Fire-Rescue.