(1947 1400 WSIC Broadcasting Building)
As early as 1937 the idea of a radio broadcasting station for Statesville and surrounding area was under consideration. Since radio has come into such general use and touches practically every person living within its listening radius, it was decided from the first to organize it as a community enterprise, a center of entertainment and information of, by, and for our own people. A representative group met and organized the Statesville Broadcasting Company, Incorporated.
Application for a construction permit was filed, but due to additional requirements by the Federal Communications Commission delays were encountered, and when World War II broke out all requests were frozen for the duration. In October 1945, applications were again being considered, and the local group spared neither expense nor effort to push its case through the various channels of Washington officialdom, and in February of 1947 was rewarded with final approval. Construction on the studio and transmitter building started immediately.
It has long been evident that Statesville must have a radio station of its own or fall behind in the march of progress. With competition becoming keener, with merchants in nearby cities bidding for the area’s trade, it became almost a matter of survival to keep the buying public informed of Statesville’s fine products, services, and the values offered by our merchants.
The field was a promising one, and several attempts had been made by outsiders to enter the local broadcasting field. However, it was deemed advisable to make this a strictly community enterprise and prevent exploitation by those who would be solely interested in financial returns they might reap.
It was therefore determined that stock should be held locally insofar as possible and that no one small group or person should be permitted to exercise control. Everyone interested was given an opportunity to take stock, original subscriptions were limited as to the number of shares in order to achieve widest possible distribution and ownership within the area served by WSIC and WSIC FM. This plan was adhered to in the allotment of additional stock issued and in shares repurchased from outsiders. For instance, one of the original stockholders owning 20 shares was not a local citizen. At the request of the directors of the Statesville Broadcasting Company, Mr. L.A. Parks purchased this stock at $125 per share and held it until all the stockholders were given an opportunity to take a proportionate part. It so happened that only four stockholders elected to take any of this stock giving each five additional shares. This was done solely to keep the stock in the community the company serves.
The Statesville Broadcasting Company was organized with the idea that it should be a real factor in the growth and progress of Statesville and Iredell County. Its opportunities for serving the community are manifold. They include not only the broadcasting of news, entertainment, educational programs and advertising matter, but also serve the public’s spiritual needs. In co-operation with the Statesville Ministerial Association, for example, broadcasts of church services, morning devotions, Vesper Thoughts, and other religious features are regularly presented, a great source of comfort and solace to those who through illness or for other reasons are unable to attend their churches.
Among other unique and useful services rendered by WSIC and WSIC–FM was that of keeping isolated families in touch with outside happenings during the extremely bad weather of last winter when the roads were impassable for weeks and many were unable to get away from their homes. Announcements about the closing and opening of schools during the period were also most helpful.
WSIC is an important factor in the life of Statesville and Iredell County generally. It enables our merchants and others who have something to sell to compete successfully with those elsewhere who have the advantage of a broadcasting station. Without our broadcasting station we would be at a great disadvantage.
Every merchant in this area should support this station by using all the advertising they possible can.
Now that the organization has been completed, the station built, and both AM and FM going along well, this station should show a substantial profit each year from now on.
In 2012, WSIC Radio celebrated 65 years of serving the people of Statesville and Iredell County.
A heritage radio station WFMX, was silenced and moved to another community, which left WSIC as a lone sentinel on Radio Road. While WFMX is no more, WSIC is continuing a long traditional of being our community’s voice. As our predecessor Statesville Broadcasting was organized to give the community a broadcast voice, Iredell Broadcasting was organized to make sure that this community will continue to be served by local people who care about its future. Now with satellite, internet, and various other personal communication services, WSIC will continue to expand our reach into these areas by exploring web base communications along with other audio and video services. We are hometown folks with a great pride in our past and a great enthusiasm for the future.
WSIC is based in Statesville, North Carolina. The station started service on May 3 of 1947 along with its former sister station WMKS (originally WSIC-FM, then WFMX before splitting off in July 2006). The pair was the first AM and FM radio stations to sign on simultaneously in the nation. Some of WSIC’s alumni include Ty Boyd and Harold Johnson. The station is owned by Iredell Broadcasting, Inc.
WSIC began broadcasting over 100.7 FM in October of 2014.
If you have a memory involving WSIC, we would like to hear about it. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tip Nicholson recalls “In the late 70s when I was coaching cross country at Statesville High School, our home cross country course began and end in the parking lot of WSIC. In August I would have to take a riding mower and mow all the way down to the horseshoe pits to create a path for the runners. They would continue on though Lakewood Park and then return back and finish at the radio station. The course remained there until it moved to Mac Anderson Park.”