A Cornelius 9/11 Remembrance Vigil will be held on Monday, September 11, 2017. The Community is invited to quietly reflect and remember at the site of the 9/11 monument, 19729 S. Main Street, as members of the Cornelius Fire Department toll a bell marking the key moments of that day. The event is free and open to the public.
The schedule will be as follows:
8:46am lower flag to Half-staff
Bell toll/moment of silence
- 8:46am: single bell toll-American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into North Tower
- 9:03am: single bell toll-United Airlines Flight 175 crashes into South Tower
- 9:37am: single bell toll-American Airlines Flight 77 crashes into the Pentagon
- 9:59am: single bell toll-South Tower collapses
- 10:03am: single bell toll-United Airlines 93 crashes into Shanksville, Pa.
- 10:28am: single bell toll-North Tower collapses
- 11:00am: striking the bell toll to memorialize Line Of Duty Deaths in North Carolina in the Firefighting, Emergency Medical Services and Police community.
The events of September 11, 2001 are forever etched in our minds and hearts. The Cornelius Never Forget 9/11 Monument, which includes a piece of steel from the World Trade Center, is our way to honor the first responders, citizens, and military personnel who were affected and to educate future generations about the events surrounding this day in our nation’s history.
This press release appears as received from the Cornelius Fire Department with the exception of page/text/space/paragraph/general formatting details. Picture placement also excluded. All pictures included with original release may not be shown here. Separate reports contained within the same press release may have also been removed. Additionally, the different pieces of the press release may have been re-arranged. This press release was posted at WSICfm.com after being received from the agency listed. Article title and picture captions may, or may not be, part of the press release. This information does, however, reflect the information received from the Cornelius Fire Department.